The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

February is my favorite time of year at the Foundation. Why? It's the month when we mail out distributions from the permanent funds we manage. These funds benefit Moravian churches and agencies, as well as other ministries and organizations which were or are important to the people who established the funds.

As we prepare each check, I like to picture the stock broker, busy on the NYSE trading floor, getting a phone call that tells him to sell off assets invested in the Moravian Common Fund. Above the yelling and craziness of the stock exchange, the numbers and screens and lines going up and down turn into a meal for someone who is hungry, scholarship money for a young adult about to go to college, assistance for a widow who needs a new roof, and a group of Moravian kids getting on a plane to go on a mission trip to Peru. Money becoming ministry, you see. Moravian generosity and thoughtful planning making a difference in the world for generations to come.

This year fourteen permanent funds distributed just over $85,000 to eight Moravian churches as well as Moravian agencies like the Board of World Mission, Salemtowne, Moravian Theological Seminary, Laurel Ridge, Sunnyside, and the Moravian Music Foundation. One of those funds, the Masten Mission and Ministry Fund, has provided over $200,000 to its beneficiaries over the past 6 years. That's a lot of ministry! We're also excited to have thirteen funds which haven't begun distributing yet but which will benefit even more of God's work in and through the Moravian church.

Creating a permanent fund with the Moravian Ministries Foundation is both easy and flexible:

     - Easy, because with a tax-deductible gift of $10,000 or more, you can establish a fund; oftentimes this is done through a gift of stock. Additional gifts can be made during your lifetime or at death, simply by naming the Foundation as a charitable beneficiary in your estate, and designating the gift to go to your permanent fund.

     - Flexible, because you complete a permanent fund gift agreement that can be amended during your lifetime without having to pay attorney fees or create other documents. That way you, as the donor, can add or change the charitable beneficiaries of the fund as needs change. In addition, you can create contingency charitable beneficiaries of the fund in case those ministries change, close, or lose their connection with the Moravian Church. As long as 51% of the distribution from your permanent fund goes to a Moravian entity, the remaining 49% can go to other charities that are important to you.

To learn more, please call us at 888.722.7923. We would love to sit down and talk with you about the Moravian ministries that are important to you and how you can support and strengthen them, both now and in perpetuity.